Choose Different Activity
For support, call us at
|Dolphin World Fans
Wild Dolphin Encounter & Tour
Important advice to dolphin lovers: book early…there are a lot of you out there
(regardless of age)
Max 6 persons
|You will encounter and watch the wild dolphins swimming in the waters of Key West. You will learn about the nature of these special bottlenose dolphins and get to snorkel and swim on the shallow reefs, shipwrecks and sponge gardens teeming with marine life. You will explore back country islands and uninhabited beaches and observe diverse population of bird species. Also, you will enjoy a picnic, meet new friends and listen to the sounds of nature.
More details below
The wild dolphin encounters will be a magical experience. You will have an opportunity to observe the wild bottlenose dolphins fishing, loving, playing, resting, traveling and teaching each other in waters of Key West. Each journey to the Dolphin's playground can be so different and can touch your hearts as these magnificent creatures perform on their own terms. You will be rewarded with the opportunity to observe them in their home. During your wild dolphin trip you may have an opportunity to see Spotted Eagle Rays, Turtles, Tarpon, and an array of schools of bait fish can capture your attention. A fun afternoon for the whole family.
- Each boat trip and tour is 4 hours long.
- Quality Sanitized Snorkel Gear
- Variety of mask styles/sizes for children & adults
- State of the art Force Fins,
- Ocean Master dry snorkels.
- Prescription masks available/ no additional charge.
- Wet Suits (winter)
- Rain Gear
- Flotation Devices
- Infant, children, adults life preservers, snorkel vests,
- cushions, float noodles.
- Polar Fleece Blankets (winter)
- Hats and gloves (winter)
- Pita bread, veggies, humus, cheese, peanut butter, chips, fruit and cookies
- Spring water, sodas, juice, ice tea, hot chocolate (winter)
- Educational Reference Cards
- Environmental education packet
- Sunscreen, insect repellent and mask defog
- Dry storage available
- Personal photo opportunities of the wild dolphins.
- Guests should bring their own bathing suits
- 6 participants maximum
- Open 364 Days a Year (Closed Christmas Day, December 25)
The Wild Dolphin Boat is docked on Stock Island, FL. Stock Island is the first island North of Key West.
(mile marker 2)
Driving Times: These times are approximate from the location listed below to Key West area, depending on traffic and weather conditions
- Key Largo - 2 hours
- Marathon - 40 minutes / 1 hour
- Miami Beach & South Beach - 3 1/2 hours
- Miami Cruise Ship Port - 3 1/2 hours
- Miami Airport - 3 hour
- Fort Lauderdale Area - 4 hours
Save Money and make your reservation online. In order to get any of these discounts, you must type the Online Discount Promotional Code in the comment box of the reservation form. After picking the amount of participants/observers, date of travel, and time of program, you will be taken to the reservation form to start your dolphin adventure. This is where the promotional code needs to be written in the comment box. Without this written code, you will not get the promotional discount. The discount provided is only for the participants, NOT observers (Except the Group Discount). These online promotions can not be combined with any previous orders or discounts. These discounts are for online orders only and the discounts will NOT be offered or honored over the phone with a Dolphin World representative.
Dolphin World Online Promotions:
- Make your reservation more than 8 - 29 days in advance get $5 off each participant. CODE: ONLINE$5OFF
Upon arrival, please proceed to the check-in counter and present your dolphin world paperwork or your last name with your dolphin world confirmation number.
- Advance confirmations are a must for entrance.
- You do not need to have a printed voucher.
Terms and conditions
Refunds / Cancellations and Changes:
All cancellations must be received by Dolphin World / Keys Adventure Tours, Inc. in writing by email or regular mail.
- A 10% service charge will apply per person for any cancellations prior 31 days of activity date.
- A 50% service charge will apply per person for any cancellations within 30 - 15 day period prior activity date.
- A 75% service charge will apply per person for any cancellations within 14 - 8 day period prior activity date.
- Prior 8 days of your reservation date, you may change your reservation to a gift certificate, where you would not incur any penalties except the change fee. This gift certificate will be good for 1 year from the date of the certificate.
- NO REFUND WILL BE GIVEN TO ANY ACTIVITY PARTICIPANTS who cancel within the 7 day period, does not show up, are late for scheduled program(s). Once a reservation has been made, a change to the scheduled program date is subject to availability. Changes made to existing reservations are subject to a $25.00 per person change fee.
WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THE PURCHASE OF TRIP INSURANCE, which will cover your purchase 100% for any interruptions to your Dolphin World activities! We recommend TravelEx Insurance. Ask a Dolphin World Travel professional for advice on Travel Insurance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are dolphin sightings guaranteed?
While dolphin encounters and sightings occur on nearly every trip; however, they are not 100% guaranteed. Encounters with the dolphins depends on the nature of their activity, weather and sea conditions.
Does your program go on Rain or Shine?
Yes, this program goes on Rain or Shine. In the event that the weather conditions are not optimal, we will do the best of our ability/knowledge to inform you in advance. In the event that the Wild Dolphin Trip cancels your excursion due to weather or sea conditions such as high winds, heavy rains or lightening/thunder storms, you will not be charged and given a 100% refund. We will do our best to reschedule your outing.
What kind of boat/vessel do you take the trip with?
Most times, the vessel used is a custom designed 24' Aquasport,
2007 Honda 225 hp Environmentally Friendly Engine. This vessel has lots of shade and comfortable seating and ample dry storage for your gear. Also has a fresh water shower, easy entry/exit swim platform and custom ladder, state-of-the -art stereo/CD sound system, and safety/emergency/communication equipment
What should I bring?
A bathing suit or swimming attire is all you need.
What is the best season to interact with the dolphins?
The wild dolphin trips operate year around. Optimal conditions are April through October due to consistently calmer seas, warmer water and better visibility. However, the trips during the winter months provide a wonderful experience as well.
I have not snorkeled before - can I participate?
If you can swim and are comfortable in the water, you can ask and be given a snorkeling lesson by the Boat Captain. You will be provided top of the line snorkel equipment for both children and adults. There are a variety of mask styles and sizes, state of the art Force Fins and Oceanmaster dry snorkels. Snorkel flotation vests are available. Noodles are available for relaxing and floating on the surface. Many guests choose to stay on the boat and simply observe and have a rewarding journey.
How far/how long to the dolphins playground?
Each trip is different and depends on weather conditions and where the dolphins are most likely to be. Often, you will encounter dolphins along the way to one of the playgrounds. Typically travel time to one of the dolphin areas is 30 to 45 minutes.
Am I likely to get seasick?
Seasickness is very unlikely aboard our vessel. Due to the fact that we travel through the back country we are very seldom in rough water. The dolphins generally stay in the shallow waters near the islands. If you are highly prone to motion sickness you may want to take an over-the-counter medication such as Trip-Tone or Dramamine. Sea Bands and ginger offer a natural alternative to medications.
How deep is the water?
Dolphin encounters typically occur in water averaging depths of 5 to 20 feet. The snorkel sites average 5 to 15 feet in depth. There are also several great sites with shallow sandbars about 3 to 5 feet in depth. These sites are ideal for children, novice swimmers and non-swimmers.
Where do we go to see the dolphins and snorkel?
The course of your dolphin excursion varies according to weather and sea conditions. Years of the boat captain experience direct the days route. The Boat Captain are intimately familiar with the travel paths and home/ground locations of the dolphins. Your journey typically takes you into the coastal Atlantic waters, the Gulf of Mexico and the back country waters around Key West. Your trip seldom ventures far offshore as this is not where the dolphins make their home.
Will children enjoy the trip?
The trip is a wonderful experience for children of all ages. We highly recommend a private charter for your group if you have a toddler or infant. Coast Guard regulations require children 6 years of age and younger to wear a life preserver throughout the trip which will be provided. Infants are required to wear a life preserver appropriate for their size and weight and will be provided for you. A snorkel liability release must be signed by a parent or guardian if children 16 years of age and under are not accompanied by their parents or guardian during this trip.
Will I have a chance to swim with the wild dolphins?
This program is an observation program only and you will not be able to swim with the wild dolphins. You will have a special opportunity to observe, interact and learn about the wild dolphins from the deck of your boat/vessel. Your Boat Captain is committed to offering you the opportunity to observe and interact with wild dolphins in a highly respectful, non-intrusive manner. All observation & interaction is based on the dolphin activity observed. In the event the dolphins are feeding, sleeping or mating we will observe activity from a respectful, non-disruptive distance.
What can I expect during this tour?
Your wild dolphin journey offers you the opportunity to experience a multitude of activities, observing/interacting/learning firsthand about wild bottlenose dolphins, snorkeling and observing local marine life, touring and learning about the back country mangrove island ecosystem.
Will I receive a refund in the unlikely event that we do not encounter dolphins?
No refunds will be issued.
At Dolphin World / Keys Adventure Tours we do offer other activities options while in South Florida. Please contact your Dolphin World specialist to see if any are good for you.
- 1 DAY DOLPHIN SWIM MINI WORKSHOP - Key Largo Area - Trained Dolphin Swim, Shows, and Snorkel Trip [ Learn More ]
- 2 DAY MARINE ANIMAL DELUXE WORKSHOP - Key Largo Area - Dolphin Swim, Sea Lion Swim, Ray Swim, Snorkel Trip, and Back Bay Environmental Tour.
[ Learn More ]
- 3 DAY DELUXE MARINE SCIENCE WORKSHOP- Key Largo and Key West Area - Dolphin Swim, Wild Dolphin Encounter, Sea Lion Swim, Ray Swim, Snorkel Trip, and Back Bay Environmental Tour. [ Learn More ]
- 4 DAY ULTIMATE DOLPHIN WORKSHOP - Key Largo and Key West Area - Dolphin Swim, Dolphin Encounter, Wild Dolphin Encounter, Sea Lion Swim, Ray Swim, Snorkel Trip, and Back Bay Environmental Tour. [ Learn More ]